Simple roll up appetizers like these Tortilla Cream Cheese Pinwheels are easy to prepare, easy to customize and can be made by anyone. Roll up appetizers are a great starter for casual gatherings.
VittleTip: This is a perfect starter dish for children to learn how to prepare. If your child can make a sandwich, they can make a roll up appetizer, especially when you handle the simple slicing and rolling.
For an appetizer that looks complicated, the real secret to a Tortilla Pinwheel or any roll-up appetizer is the right mix of flavors and presentation.
One of our favorites includes ham, peppers, olives and onion –with a few drops of hot sauce to enliven the cream cheese.
- tortillas - 4 large burrito sized
- cream cheese - 8 oz, softened
- onion - 3 tsp, finely chopped
- green pepper - 3 tsp, finely chopped
- olives - 3 tsp, finely chopped, green or black
- mayonnaise - as needed to moisten to spreadable state
- hot sauce - 3 drops (to taste)
- ham - thin sliced deli, enough to cover 4 large tortillas
- Mix together the cream cheese, onion, green pepper, parsley, olives and hot pepper sauce. If the mixture is too thick to easily spread, add a dab of mayonnaise. Stir well.
- Lay out the flour tortillas.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on the tortillas. Use 1/4 of the mixture for each tortilla and cover evenly.
- Top the cream cheese with the thin sliced deli ham. You can use more of less ham to suit your tastes and budget.
- Roll the covered tortilla up to a hot dog shape. Roll tight — not loose.
- If you have time, refrigerate for a while. You don't have to, but it makes them easier to slice.
- Get a sharp knife and cut the hot dog shaped tortilla into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Now, you can see the pinwheel design.
- Place on a platter and serve, or refrigerate until time for your party.