Fried Skillet Apples will make you rethink apples! Most people think of desserts when it comes to apples, but southerners often use apples as a side dish.
It's not a real country ham supper around here without the Fried apples. The sweet taste of baked or fried apples compliment the salty taste of the ham. Skillet apples are great with other main dishes too and add a little variety to the menu.
- Cut your apples up while you're melting the butter in a skillet over medium heat. You can peel the apples, but you don't have to. I don't.
- Toss the apples in the skillet and stir until they are tender. You can check with a fork. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add the brown sugar and water. Toss the apples gently until coated.
- Remove pan from heat. Then, stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Your side dish is ready to serve.