It wouldn’t be the holidays without pumpkin pie. This is a timeless southern favorite which has graced tables all over the country.
Pumpkins grow all summer and then are ready to pick as the days get longer and cooler. I think folks start to think about pumpkin pies from Halloween on through Christmas. Of course, since you can buy pumpkin canned, there’s no reason this couldn’t be a year-round dish. It just somehow has that fall/winter smell and taste.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin and milk. Beat eggs. Add to pumpkin and mix well. Put in seasonings and mix again until those are evenly mixed in.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted about one inch from the edge comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting.
- This is good topped with whipped cream or Cool Whip.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- If you want to cook your pumpkin from scratch with a fresh pumpkin, then see my recipe for Pumpkin Puree.
- While you're making up the puree, clean off the seeds and make some roasted pumpkin seeds. Those are great for snacking.