The planet’s easiest desert recipe is made many different ways, but some some people make much better Rice Krispie Treats than others because they know some handy Rice Krispie Treats tips. Below are cooking secrets that make Snap, Crackle and Pop’s dessert treat succeed.
Rice Krispie Treats Tips and Hints
- Butter the casserole dish or pan. This stuff is sticky.
- If you’re using wax paper (and why not, if you are not?), first spread a thin layer of butter on the paper.
- Apply that same butter to a spatula so you can spread out the mixture with quick up and down movements.
- Follow the advice great grill chefs give: don’t press too tight or mash the spatula. Rice Krispie Treats need air and room. Most people mash them down too hard–probably the biggest overall mistake.
- For a special treat, add 3/4 cup of peanut butter after you melt the marshmallows, but before you stir in the cereal. Once you’ve done peanut butter, get crazy–try almond butter and other spreads.
- Rice Krispie Treats taste best when fresh on your kitchen counter, but they will keep for three, even four, days with some TLC. To preserve Rice Krispie Treats, cut them into individual portions and wrap them in wax paper. Store them in an airtight bowl upside-down with the folded side down to prevent unwrapping or use a bit of tape to completely seal the gooey treat.
- Melt the margarine over low heat in a sturdy stock pot.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until coated and until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Pull off heat and stir in Rice Krispies immediately.