Rice Krispie Date Balls taste much better than they sound. My mom didn’t tell us what went in these holiday favorites when we were kids, and we all loved them.
Yuck. Dates. They just don’t look like something you’d want to eat. But, they sure cook up great in Southern Rice Krispie Date Balls.
My mom always made date balls over the holidays. She never mentioned what went in date balls. In fact, I think she called them snow balls. They’re rolled in powdered sugar, so that name change worked just fine.
When I got older and moved away, I called to get the recipe and was surprised to find out what went in the snow balls. But, I went right out and bought a box of chopped dates. They were just as good as I remembered.
One thing I really love about this recipe is that it’s really quick and easy to make. I can be done in less than a half hour including washing the dishes.
- Put butter, sugar, and chopped dates in a sauce pan. Cook on medium low heat until dates are melted. This takes about 8 minutes.
- Take off heat and stir in Rice Krispies and vanilla.
- You can also add a cup of chopped nuts if you like. Pecans are good.
- Pour date mixture in a pan and let it cool. You don't want it totally cold, but you don't want it so hot it hurts your hands.
- Take pieces of the mixture and shape into balls. It helps if you put a little butter on your fingers to do this.
- Roll balls in confectioners sugar.