Southerners love pound cake. Over the years, many variations have been added to the family recipe boxes. Fresh peaches give pound cake a new zip.
If you drive through the south during peach season, you’ll see baskets of these tasty southern fruits for sale. Be sure to stop and grab a basket and gab for a while. Half the fun of buying roadside is catching some of the local news and gossip.
Be sure to eat some raw peaches and some with cream. Heavenly! Then try out this tasty peach cake recipe.
1 cup butter (can use margarine) 2 cups sugar 4 eggs 1 tsp vanilla 3 cups fresh peaches (chopped fine) 3 cups plain all purpose flour 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt
- Let the butter soften a bit. Then cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. This gives pound cake more air and lift, so it will be a higher cake if you do the eggs right.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- In another bowl, mix the peaches with about 1/4 cup of the flour. This coats the peaches and keeps them from floating up to the top of the cake during cooking. Stir the peaches in the sugar mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix up the remaining flour with the baking powder and salt. Stir around to get the baking powder and salt mixed in. Then, add this to the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 10 minutes in a pound cake pan which is the tube type with the hold in the middle. Grease the pan and flour lightly, so the cake will come out easier.
- This is a really tasty cake. It smells really nice with the peaches.