Cheese balls are always popular at parties in the south. Traditionally the cheese ball is rolled in finely chopped pecans though cheese balls can be served sans nuts.
One of my favorite party treats is the cheese ball. There are so many variations. Everyone seems to add a little something different. I can’t say that I’ve had an awful cheese ball though some are tastier than others.
- Let the cream cheese sit out for an hour or so. It's much easier to mix when warm.
- Put the cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl and mix well. You can use your hands to get it well mixed, but if you're a neat freak, then use a spoon and mix, mix, mix.
- Add the seasonings. Mix well.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour or so. Then, you can form the cheese into a ball. You can do it before, but it's hard to make a ball out of warm cheese.
- This recipe easily makes two cheese balls. You can have two different trays featuring different crackers, or have one cheese ball for a gathering and one for home.
- Either roll the cheese ball around in the finely chopped pecans or gently pat the pecans into the cheese. I generally use a combination of rolling and patting.
- That's the basic southern cheese ball recipe. It's great served on crackers or Triskets or any other bread type munchie.