Onions aren’t just for flavoring. Try a Southern Onion Casserole and see how these garden vegetables can stand alone as a great side dish.
You can use in any type of onion in Southern Onion Casserole, but the favorite around is Vidalia. It’s a sweet onion and appeals to both onion fans and non-fans.
- Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Layer onions, chips, and cheese. This can be a single layer with onions first, then chips and then cheese. Or you can divide and do two layers. Either way is good.
- Mix the soup, milk and pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Pour over onions in casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for around 1 hour. Cover with a lid or tin foil for the first 50 minutes. Then remove the top so the cheese browns very lightly.
- This is a pot luck size dish. If you want to scale it down for the family, just cut everything in half and use a smaller casserole dish.