- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Stir.
- Add 1¼ cup buttermilk and stir until mixture is moistened. Gradually add more milk, if necessary, to create a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 1-2 minutes.
- Shape into a ball and place on greased baking sheet. Flatten into 8" circle.
- Using sharp knife, cut ½" deep "X" into top of dough.
- Bake in preheated 425° oven until golden brown (about 45 minutes).
- Serve warm (melt in butter for a treat) or cool on wire rack.