It’s strawberry season, and the berries always come and go fast. Though my family can eat our weight in berries, it’s always nice to have some recipes for fresh berries. This is one that is quick and easy and very tasty. If you’ve ever had the strawberry pie at Shoney’s, then this is similar.
- First, bake the pie shell according the directions on the pack. Once the pie shell is browned, set it aside to cool.
- Cap and cut the berries in bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Put the sugar, water, and cornstarch in a pan on the stove and put on medium heat. Add the food coloring if you have any on hand. The pie looks prettier if you color the sugar mixture. Heat until this starts to thicken. Usually this is about one minute after it starts to boil. The "feel" is about like thin pudding right before you take it off the heat.
- When the sugar mix is thick, put the berries in the cooked pie shell. Pour the sugar mixture over the berries.
- Let the pie sit for about a half hour. You can eat it immediately if you like. It's really good warm, but it will not slice neatly if you eat it warm.