Carrot Bread does not get the same publicity as Carrot Cake, but it’s sure good. Carrot Bread is a lighter treat and good to pack to take to work or school for lunch.
Down south, we make all sorts of breads, and Carrot Bread is a real winner. It gives you that same comfort feel of carrot cake, but it’s not as sweet and is not as fragile as carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. That’s good stuff too — the cake. But, this is quicker and better for you.
- Cream the sugar and cooking oil in a medium bowl. Mix. Add the egg.
- In a smaller bowl, put the flour and soda. Stir the nuts in. This will coat them and keep them from rising up to the top of the bread. Then, add the cinnamon and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients in with the sugar mixture.
- Add the vanilla and stir.
- Fold (or lightly stir) in the carrots.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased bread loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 1/2 hour or until lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean.